Visit Open-E website

Thread: System freeze

Unhappy System freeze

Hello,

since a few days i have the problem that the complete system freeze. The first time this occurs was last tuesday. Today was the second time. The DSS Version is the current version. (Build 3007)

I can't access CIFS shares or go to the admin web interface. On the console the blank screen goes away when i press a key, but other keys don't work. The cursor is blinking but there is nothing i can do.

The problem is, that the iSCSI targets are frozen too. The first time a exchange database got corrupt und today the active direcory database.

A litte thing to make better in the next release: When klicking on the status to wiew the errors, it will be nice to see the errors before the last boot. (Display the errors of the errors.db.1 by selecting this.)

Now i downloaded the file and open it with wordpad. The first error:

2008/02/24 04:25:30 kernkernelemergyndata_out_start(1032) unable to find scsi task bdcf30 3820a4

And many of them:

2008/02/24 04:31:59 kernkernelemergynfileio_make_request(62) I/O error 4096, -5F

And nearly at the same time at the 3Ware Alarms:

Feb 24, 2008 04:26.44AM (0x04:0x005E): Cache synchronization completed: unit=1

Perhaps a 3Ware driver problem? This was changed in the new release...

The Summary shows this informations:
    Model: 9550SXU-16ML
    Firmware: FE9X 3.08.00.016
    Driver: 2.26.08.002-2.6.17

Refards
    Stefan

Stefan, If u get those error at the same time wit 3ware error.. it could be the controller .. the best ting to do is to download the demo CD from the open-e website, and test if you can access your data...
    Save your config. before u try the demo.. it should be in the misc. tab

What should be the difference between my system and the demo cd?

Check on the 3Ware controller and perform a RAID verify.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Feb 24, 2008 10:01.21AM (0x04:0x002B): Verify completed: unit=1
    Feb 24, 2008 09:13.36AM (0x04:0x0029): Verify started: unit=1
    Feb 24, 2008 09:11.58AM (0x04:0x0008): Unclean shutdown detected: unit=2
    Feb 24, 2008 09:11.58AM (0x04:0x0008): Unclean shutdown detected: unit=1

On Unit 1 the controller made already a verify. Unit 2 is a single drive. On Unit 0 i will start a verify too but this will take a while, this are 4,7 TB...

Can this cause that the complete system didn't resonse?

For UNIT 0 no error was reported...

Today night the system freezes again. This time i tryed to make a backup of all my shares. I used ARCserve 12 and not the agent of the DSS, i made the backup using the shares.... After 200GB and at exact 2:00 the system freezes.

I hope i stoll got my data on tape, i must store for a complete backup 2,5 TB to migrate the data to a new storage.

Stefan

Today my new Promise VTrak arrives and i removed one RAID from the DSS to put the disks to the VTrak. I made this step by step: First unmapping the iSCSI, then i deleted the partitions and then i removed the disks from the 3ware GUI. After i rescanned from the DSS the device was gone. All works fine.

A little bit later i can't access the files on the CIFS shares. The Web GUI is accessable but shows not all informations so i initiated a reboot from the console. It takes a while to shutdown and after the machine made a reset the DSS writes LOADING... and the i got a message that the System corrupted is and that no USB DOM can be found.

Now i also put the disks with tha NAS data in the VTrak, assigned them to a Windows Server and made a restore of the data...

When i have a little bit more time at weekend i will look if i can boot the DOM in a different Mainbord if not i think that i must contact the support...

Best regards
    Stefan