Visit Open-E website

Thread: LVM group and settings gone

Unhappy LVM group and settings gone

I have a few of the iscsi modules, the latest one just lost its volume after an unexpected power loss.

I rebooted it a few times, having found with the others I have that sometimes the HWraid doesn't mount perfectly the first time.

In the end I unwisely did an LVM restore - which seems to have been from before I actually created the main volume. Thats all I did, I didn't know what else to do - and now I look like I lost it all. Are there any recovery tools that can scan the thing.

I use an MD0 - a software raid0 of 2 hw raid6 - because we were trying to make it handle multiple file reading best. After the power cut (first look at the system) the IP of the machine and the MD0 volume were looking normal and healthy, but no LV Group existed.

Assuming I made a big mistake, what should I have done. Can anything be done to recover the LVM. All the system appears to have is an incorrect LVM setting from the backup.

At the time of restoring the LVM I got messages about something being left hanging. Didn't make a note of it. Assuming this is the file corruption of the settings.

Thanks for any advice - The server was only put together late last year.

Sangye

Default LV0000 appears again

Well I don't know when it appeared but the LV0000 is there today? After a bad night of worry.

Yet I still don't have the iscsi volume and on the iscsi target manager in the configuration tab it says "No System Volume Found" - LVM shows that there is a 1GB system volume?

How to fix that?

Thanks for any advice.

Sangye

Go to the Console screen and enter CTRL + ALT + X (Extended tools) select the run
    "Repair filesystem on LV (Logical Volumes)" . Be warned that the system will restart. After the restart go back and select the "select default volume group".
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Talking No Repair LVM

In the extended tools console I have no "Repair Filesystem on LV" command, I am talking to the support via telephone but they haven't come back to me.

They had the same recommendation but I am stuck, and I can see that it has the one VG selected as default. So the question now seems to be how to get that command, and nobody thinks upgrading is a good move at this point.

Best regards

Sangye

You are correct that the iSCSI-R3 does not have this, sorry for the confusion to many of us are using the DSS product and get crossed on what is in the Ext. tools for booth.

If this system had only 1 Volume Group (VG00) and you have tried the option to "Restore LVM..." and was not able to see the VG00 then have you done a RAID verify for each of the RAID 6’s that reside on the RAID controller. Also any errors from the RAID controller logs?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Raid Seems Ok

I Have looked at the raid log and nothing seems to have gone wrong. It is a single Areca with 16 sata drives - the web log doesn't show any errors and two Raid6 volumes are healthy.

We feel it is just something stuck in the system volume. Don't know what to do next to get rid of this no system volume problem.

Upgraded to latest version of iscsi-r3 as per instructions from support tonight. All looks same, no improvement.

Regards

Sangye

Enable the "Remote Support" function in Extended tools and enter the Ticket # for the case.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Question Enabled Remote Support

Hoping to hear back on my ticket - enabled remote support last night.

Sangye

The forum is separate from the support for Remote support. Please reply from the ticket # to support not from the forum.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default You guys rock

Well the support guys work, I was just replying on both because I didn't know who was going to respond first.

Thanks for the help.

Sangye