Visit Open-E website

Thread: Best strategy for saving huge amount of small files

Default Best strategy for saving huge amount of small files

Hello,

we are using a Open-E Storage Server with an Dual XEON 5140 (Dual Core), 4GB RAM and 5TB SATA Disk drives in RAID6 Mode. This server should be used for a custom application which produces a huge amout a small files (1.000.000 20kb files in 2h).

I made some tests, putting all files in the same directory, this slows down the system if you have more that a few thousands files in it. My next step was creating 1.000 subfolders:

0/0/0
    0/0/1
    9/9/9

Based on the last numbers of the file id I saved all files to corresponding folder. But after a while, maybe one hour and about 400.000 files, everything gets slow again....

Maybe I should create 10.000 subfolders? What are your tips?

Btw. is there any option to tune the file system for small files? Can I set options like noatime?

How are you connecting to the DSS (Via iSCSI volumne, NAS Share, NFS?)?

If via iSCSI, what file system have you used (FAT, NTFS, EXT3)?

it is a NAS (I guess samba) share... my application runs on windows and uses \\storage\spool as a "target"

There is something about blocksize and filesystem that may help you out more than anything else.

i think open-e uses XFS

Question

Yeah, I think it's XFS, which has variable block size (can be good for small files). Does Open-E have any tuning parameters that can help optimize for many small files? We have a customer who's looking to use the open-e box as a storage pool to store lots (millions) of small (~16KB) files.

BTW, he's interesting in using it as a NAS, not as an iSCSI box (although we'd probably just get him the DSS version).