Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS Server and Failover

Default DSS Server and Failover

Does DSS now support an HA configuration?
    I read it here: http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/814862

Can someone point me to docs on it to describe it in detail?

When will these features make it to iSCSI -R3?

Sorry to say that this will not be available for iSCSI-R3. Documentation will be follow mid to later this month.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Well the fact that it won't be available for iSCSI sucks. That was a promised feature! Very disappointing...

I understand but what has happened is that sales has increased so much (over 78%) for DSS and hardly for the iSCSI-R3 and NAS-R3.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Well that's not a good reason to abandon your promises and customers! This is very reminiscent of how the iSCSI to iSCSI-R3 *upgrade* was done. There was no upgrade. You guys left your customers to fend for themselves..

I just completed several weeks worth of effort to get my company onto iSCSI-R3 because I Open-E had promised failover for R3. I had to migrate data we had on a SQL cluster to a standalone system. I had to migrate virtual machines to a temporary dss-lite server. I had backup all of our backup-to-disk files to tape and suspend backups for a couple of days.. Now you tell me there is not failover for R3 because DSS sales have increased?

DSS is a great product. But the problem is that I don't need CIFS, NFS and all the other stuff in it. If you guys would bite the bullet and provide an option for users to install software like a a backup agent on to the box, then I would see some real benefits there. By not supporting the latest backup software (especially on the Symantec front) you are forcing your customers to stay behind. Because of this, if I need CIFS, i'd much rather stick CIFS head and back that off of an R3 data store because I can install a Symantec Backup Agent on it...

I am very disappointed. I bet in a few weeks you guys will discontinue iSCSI-R3 for the same reason..

But you asked if this will be available for DSS "Does DSS now support an HA configuration" and yes it will be this month. In the article it only mentions that DSS will have this feature not iSCSI-R3 Enterprise. iSCSI-R3 can be upgraded to DSS so you are not stuck with only one option this is why you can upgrade your iSCSI-R3 Enterprise to DSS. Yes there is a cost just like Microsoft when you upgrade (but with free support). Additionally Symantec wants to charge us $300 +or- for each latest agent (someone has to pay for this). We are looking to resolve this but need additional time and in the mean time we have announced NDMP as stated in the article that you have supplied.

iSCSI-R3 has manual failover just not the Auto Failover feature and so many customers are upgrading to DSS because of the additional features we are adding and they feel it is worth the price point. iSCSI-R3 will not be discontinued as you say because many customers are satisfied with the price point and the manual failover is sufficient for there needs and they have no problem with this.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

How do I upgrade R3 to DSS?
    In addition, we've been trying to obtain partner status with you guys for some time, but no one has gotten back with us...

Also, I'll add this. The reason why I'm making such a big fuss is because the ISCSI to R3 thing hit us really hard. When selling a solution, you leverage your relationships and your name to convince customers why they should or should not go with something. I thought R3 was a good solution for our customers, but basically, I guess what you are saying is that I should only go with DSS. Because if DSS is the only product that is going to get the development attention and must-have-features, then it would not make sense for me to recommend R3 to our customers.

Failover is a must have feature. And you say there is manual failover for R3, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Please contact me and provide me your contact information so I can assist you on the partnership and other topics.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"