Visit Open-E website

Thread: how speedy Snapshot is?

Post how speedy Snapshot is?

Hi guys
    i m new bee to his forum,
    we are planning buying a san salution and considering the open-dss,
    i have some confusion regarding snapshot feature that how it will be effective for me
    below the purpose of the macheine.

dual xeon quadcore,
    4 gb ram
    6 TB
    qlogic 2gb quad port hba

we want to use this as file server/storage server
    it will be connected to our renderfarm 30 nodes (3d animation applications) and pool of 10 users (compositers) all connected to fiber channel.

bassically all the frames/files will be out to storage (open-e dss) and all the users will use read those files for composit.

at the end of the day we came up like 200-400GB data dailiy, new frames/files, actully
    if we want to backup this on daily bassis it will take time.

* mind it i dont want to archive these file at the moment

wanted to know what if i take a snap shot of a volume of 2 TB and daily its increases addition 300gb, then how much time this volume take for snapshot?
    and can we backup that snapshot version to vertias or any other windows server?

please

help

Quote Originally Posted by tahir
    wanted to know what if i take a snap shot of a volume of 2 TB and daily its increases addition 300gb, then how much time this volume take for snapshot?
    and can we backup that snapshot version to vertias or any other windows server?

please help
    No, the snapshot can't be backed up or copied to any other place. It is not a backup. As I know Open-E uses copy-on-write technology for snapshots. You can read more about it on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy-on-write

But you can backup files from snapshots like from any other volume by using the build in backup agents.

ok but my other question is still not answered hope the guy from open he can help..

"wanted to know what if i take a snap shot of a volume of 2 TB and daily its increases addition 300gb, or lets suppose i have to take a snapshot of data of 1 terabyte then how much time this volume take for snapshot?"

waiting

The snapshot is made immediately, with no wait. If you set aside 100 GB for the snapshot, then after 100GB of changes have been made to the original volume, the snapshot becomes inactive and can no longer be accessed (and any data different between the snapshot and the original volume is forever lost, but the original volume is unaffected).

Snapshots are useful for making backups of a volume. Snapshots are only used in order to make sure the data doesn't change while backing up from the snapshot to some external volume.

It's usually a good idea to assign for snapshot space about three times as much as your changes will be during the snapshot.