Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFS Locking issues with FreeBSD

Default NFS Locking issues with FreeBSD

We're using several FreeBSD servers which require working NFS locking. Mounting a share with file locking from another FreeBSD NFS server is no problem, so lockd and statd seem to work fine on the clients.

Is there a known problem with NFS locking and FreeBSD? And if so, how can I fix it? I cannot circumvent locking, because that will almost unavoidably cause data corruption.

I've read some rather old posts about problems between FreeBSD and Linux, Linux seems to support "locking cookies" of only 8 bytes (it seems that up to 1 KByte should be acceptable), whereas FreeBSD uses 16 bytes since version 5.1. I don't know if this has been fixed in more recent Linux implementations and I also don't know if it applies to open-e DSS.

We are using Debian based Linux Servers which we mount NFS shares on. We have the same problem that the file locking is not working.
    Talking to the vendor support, this is a known bug to Open-E and they are working on to fix it within the next software updates.

Sorry posting first reply before searching the software update section:

[2008-05-05]
    Open-E DSS update ver. 5.00 up46 build 3084

"Fixed:
    - NFS locking file does not work"

Default NFS file locking issue not resolved in Open-e NAS R3?

Hi,

We encountered the file locking issue with Open-e ver. 5.00 released on 17 May 2008.
    The NFS client runs on SUSE Linux 10.

Were your NFS file locking issues resolved?

Thanks!

/CS

Quote Originally Posted by terrasys
    Sorry posting first reply before searching the software update section:

[2008-05-05]
    Open-E DSS update ver. 5.00 up46 build 3084

"Fixed:
    - NFS locking file does not work"
    Unfortunately we're still experiencing NFS locking issues with the lastest DSS code (5.0.DB47000000.3216) :

Our user's home directories are mounted via NFS by the user's workstations (currently openSuSE 11.0). Both Firefox 3.0 and Eclipse cannot store profiles resp. workspaces inside the home directories due to locking issues.

Setting the NFS "insecure locks" flag for the shares does not make any difference (although I haven't tested rebooting the DSS after setting that flag).

Does anyone have such a setup working reliably? We currently have to sync the (NFS-based) profiles with copies on file systems local to each workstation before starting and after stopping Firefox, rendering the idea of NFS-based home directories nearly useless.

With regards,
    Jens

Hello Jen,
    Please provide us with your mounting string? You may also send your logs (Status->Hardware) to our support e-mail. support@open-e.com

Thanks
    SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sh-J
    Hello Jen,
    Please provide us with your mounting string? You may also send your logs (Status->Hardware) to our support e-mail. support@open-e.com

Thanks
    SJ
    SJ,

Thanks fpr looking into this.

I will provide the information on Friday - I'm not on location right now.

With regards
    Jens

Hello Jen,

Thanks
    SJ
    Hello SJ,

I'm sorry for the delay, it was a rather busy Friday :-/ Here's the corresponding output of "/bin/mount":
    ourSANserver:/share/someuser on /home/someuser type nfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,hard,intr,addr=<IP-Addr removed for security reasons>,nfsvers=3,proto=tcp,mountproto=udp)

The mount is done via autofs, the map entry has the following string
    -fstype=nfs,hard,intr,nodev,nosuid ourSANserver:/share/&

Should I try some other options before sending in the logs? If I mail the logs to you, should I include any specific reference in the subject line or mail body?

With regards,

Jens

Dear Jen,

I would like to look at the logs. Please send it and in the text body copy the description of the issue so we can keep tracking and everybody see the whole picture.

Regards,
    SJ

Red face

Dear Jen,

I would like to look at the logs. Please send it and in the text body copy the description of the issue so we can keep tracking and everybody see the whole picture.

Regards,
    SJ
    SJ,

after we "forced an unexpected reboot" (UPS broke down) this night and had the system power up from nil, NFS locking works . I do believe we had reboots after changing the settings (and locking didn't work), but no power-offs.

Regards,

Jens