Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4TB limitation on volume replication

also some must go to vkeven for starting this thread.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Oh my alot of reaction!

How much people has understand the way Open-E replication work before I post this thread?
    In just one post I get interest of real power users of Open-E ( the one that want more than 4TB ) , but Open-E is not happy when I'm posting something that could be true , even if I try to contact support I reach a dead end , forum are suppose te be use for discussion,idea,limitation but as long as Open-E don't get hurt. Maybe we should start a user forums of Open-E?

Again we need time to have greater then 4TB replicated volumes, we will have it and if support replied with the same response it is because we need additional time. Right now our focus is on Auto Failover and other projects. Also there are many working with replication beyond 1TB. Having the option of using other DRBD Protocols is a good idea to select from but this will be determined by the engineers and management.

If you are having issues with your replication of volumes please send the logs to support@open-e.com
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thumbs up

Now this thread is become active ... yaaaa

Keven thanks for this interesting thread and Thanks Todd for the information you provide...

Keven do not blame open-e for not offering a replication for >4TB, frankly how much you are paying for open-e software and how much you will pay for other products. open-e gives me many many features that I need for a very decent price, and every time they improve their product, right now it can compete with very big guys.

Its not just price, its a very nice and stable product that offer a very good solution with a very good support. I do not ask for more..

Todd-- do you give me a discount for this nice talk..

How about we give you the update when the version of DSS to replicate greater then 4TB comes out - man you guys are blood thirsty!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I never say that Open-E is a bad product , its really a good product to be honest, but the fact that its price is low could be one of the problem , this is why I suggest to have a more business oriented version ( like a DSS premium ) with an higher price tag and some form of support contract. In reality Open-E is linux with LVM,XFS,DRBD,ISCSI,Samba,Netatalk,bacula... with a GREAT! Web-UI but we don't have access to command line so if something goes wrong we are stuck to wait for support to answer your question (and you can't buy priority support). I have no problem to paid 5 times the price for Open-E + a support contract but I can't.

Again we need more time to build this up and charge for support for what you are asking(though many will not like!!). We try to please all but it is just too hard to do and no company that I know of can.

Again please give us the time we need to build this...
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Kevin,

I may agree with you in that its good to have super open-e edition that cost 5 times more. But come in, in reality can that be real in few months or weeks period. This need time, and that what they are asking.

Give them time and lets see.... if they fulfill there promise that will be great, as we all agree thats its nice product. If not, then too bad, if you do not like it then try something else.

Lets close this, because its taking loooooooooing time to go over all these posts. we need to get knowledge from this and by making this so long there will be no benefit.

Where I put pressure about delay? I just want to know about interest of other people here so if there is enough interest maybe Open-E will put this request upper on the priority list. I also talked about vmalloc and protocol of replication so if they need to touch this part of Open-E maybe they will take care of this request also.

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Again we need more time to build this up and charge for support for what you are asking(though many will not like!!). We try to please all but it is just too hard to do and no company that I know of can.

Again please give us the time we need to build this...
    People that don't want to buy priority support can just use Open-E like today with support@open-e.com but people that what to pay for priority support should have an option to do it , the best and fastest way could be trough current partner but some access to command line will be a necessity , a command line access with some advanced administrator user guide could be a solution.