Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4TB limitation on volume replication

Default 4TB limitation on volume replication

Just to check if people are aware that there is a limitation of 4TB with replication function on Open-E because they used DRBD( replication software for linux) free version , Open-E tell me that if enough people need more than a 4TB volume they will look to get the paid version of DRBD( DRBD+) so we will have a 16TB capacity for replicated volume on 32bit system. Some people need it?

I would also be interested in such a feature. We are using a Open-E with 20Tb of space.
    Approx. 10Tb will have to be replicated.

If you read there help info in the volume manager it clearly states "The Maximal NAS (NAS), iSCSI (I) and Fibre Channel (FC) volume size (with replication) is limited to 4193120MB (megabytes).

If your volume (including volume replication) fails to be created, increase the Vmalloc size. This can be done via the Hardware Console Tools (ALT+CTRL+W) -> Tuning options -> Vmalloc size."

Just RTFM.....

Sorry but dont know why people do not read it.... it was created for a reason....

This is good to know that others need it as well the more we know that need this will help all. But just to let you know we never stated that we would not do this it is in our plans just not a confirmed date. Keven has the right idea to find out if there are others needing volumes replicating over 4TB. The more we know the better it helps us push the development date.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default Vmalloc of open-e

How much memory Open-e has setup on vmalloc in the kernel? I read on the DRBD mailing list that alot of people have hard time to get volume over 2TB working with default 128M or 192M of vmalloc. Someone have try a full synchro of 4TB?

Linbit ( DRBD programmer ) say that you need 32MB of vmalloc memory for 1TB of storage so the minimum is 128MB , how much open-e kernel is using?

We have a customer that is replicating 4x2.5TB volumes. We would have had just one 10 TB volume (or two 5 terabyte volumes), but the 4TB limitation didn't let us. It wasn't a big deal at all, and we might've needed to split it into 4 volumes anyway, but we would've probably tried it.

Actually, I've had a little problem with the replication stopping randomly every month with that system. I will try increasing the vmalloc!

Thumbs up

Hi,

a drbd+ option would be fine, not for replication >=4 TB filesystems, but for the 3rd mirror desaster recovery (DR) option, so we would be able to have an additional DSS server on our DR site.

regards
    heimic

Quote Originally Posted by heimic
    Hi,
    a drbd+ option would be fine, not for replication >=4 TB filesystems, but for the 3rd mirror desaster recovery (DR) option, so we would be able to have an additional DSS server on our DR site.
    Same here, support for a 3rd mirror would be _very good_. Ideally, we would want a failover-failover-failover scenario which had 2 DSS in our server room and a 3rd at a DR site.

I think its the time for a more "enterprise" version of Open-E , DSS Standard for very small business and a DSS Premium ( with DRBD+ and more control of things inside Open-E ) for bigger one with some sort of priority support contract.