Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iScsi Auto Failover

Thread has average rating 4.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 57616 times.

Default iScsi Auto Failover

Is this feature available in Open-e DSS?
    In the feature comparison table i see iScsi Failover but on the description i read "coming soon".
    If yes, does this feature requires some specific license?
    Thanks
    Vittorio

You will not need a License Key for Auto Failover we had to release 5.0_46 first before the Auto Failover release. We had plans to release this version earlier but decided to release it before mid June.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default iSCSI Failover

So is iSCSI failover available now as an option for DSS? What is the cost? Is there a charge per DSS Server?

Is this an active-active or active-passive relationship between the two DSS servers?

Does it only failover between identical DSS servers?

Can it auto fail back one the failing DSS server is restored to proper operation

Can it failover between two DSS servers that share SAS or F/C arrays given the arrays have separate controllers in them?

Where can I read about the set up, features and restrictions?

Thank You

Robert

Hello robertdalco...

Let me help the guys here and share what I know about it....

So is iSCSI failover available now as an option for DSS? What is the cost? Is there a charge per DSS Server?

Its not available yet - I am waiting it as well - There will be no cost according to open-e guys, hopefully it will stay like this.

Is this an active-active or active-passive relationship between the two DSS servers?

its an active/passive

Does it only fail over between identical DSS servers?

You have to have the version that support auto failover which will be the next release.

Can it auto fail back one the failing DSS server is restored to proper operation

I am not sure about this, but I belive they have the fail back manually (active/passive)

Can it failover between two DSS servers that share SAS or F/C arrays given the arrays have separate controllers in them?

I dont think so.. as it will give a virtual IP address to the NIC, and I am not sure how it will do this here..

Where can I read about the set up, features and restrictions?

Propally we are going to get the official documents as soon as this been officially released...

Hope I am correct

Thanks SuperSan! Sorry for being late just got back.

You almost got it will Auto Failover to the Secondary then there will be a switch to fail back manually as this is in part of the active/passive operation.

Currently Auto Failover will only be supported for iSCSI Logical Volumes. So Host system will connect to a virtual IP address that Server A (Primary) and Server B (Secondary) are assigned. Please be patient we will have documentation on this when released.
    In future releases we have plans for NAS as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

but when will this be released ??

I won’t know until Thursday or Friday of this week after the QA guys approve it.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default MPIO - autofailover

Hey Todd,
    I have a question, if the auto failover will be using a virtual IP address.
    And I am currently use MPIO as per Shon (due to issues in the net Bonding)
    What would the failover route be since there are two sub-nets in play with the MPIO?

Thanks, carter

We have not tested this mix but this should work as you can set a virtual IP address from each NIC.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Angry We are also waiting ...

Hi there!

We have the up44 Vesion running with iSCSI failover installed (or activated).
    We had to get an additional license Code but it is not working very well.
    So we decided not to use it. (Our Harware/open-e supplier also recommended this).

In the up46 iSCSI failover is not available as you said.

We would like to use this function as well as to have the VMware certification.
    (They said us that it will available in March (2008 ;-) ).

I do not expect it to be be available before autumn (both) - if it comes.

Regards
    DerFux