Visit Open-E website
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: iScsi Auto Failover

Thread has average rating 4.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 58662 times.

My coworker tested the beta version of it. And he said its working fine. He report to opene engineers and they told him they r going to release it in few weeks.

he didnt use any special key.. he used the same module with the same license key...

Is it going to be possible to use the failover option without replicating ?
    For our solution replicating data is a bit useless since we're planning two open-e nodes connected to the same fiberchannel san...both can already access the same storage and we just need the failover to create redundancy for the open-e nodes. We planned to use two luns from the fiber san, each of them actively handled by it's own open-e node...in case of failure the alive node should handle them both. If this is possible Open-e would be a great solution for us to convert a part of our fiber storage to low cost iscsi...

Currently not at this time but we are looking into a using 2 head nodes and connect to a common storage pool but no set date has been scheduled to start designs.

The Auto Failover will be for iSCSI Volumes only for this release.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

So is there any updated documentation for this? Like explaing how it works and how it should be setup. Also how will licensing work? Do i need to buy 2 dss licenses?

For the iSCSI Auto Failover you will need 2 DSS modules only, there is no additional license fees for this. Below is a Quick Start guide for the Auto Failover.

Auto Failover Quick Start Guide:

1. Set up volume replication and start the replication task on the primary system.
    2. On both systems, create a new target with exactly the same name and assign the LUN by clicking on the "+" button.
    3. In the GUI menu, SETUP -> Network, configure bonding using eth0 and eth1.
    4. Connect the cable from eth0 to the first network switch and the cable from eth1 to the second one.
    5. Do the same as above on the secondary system.
    6. On both systems, configure the virtual IP on the bond and select it as an auxiliary interface.
    7. Select eth2 as the auxiliary on both systems (it there must be 2 auxiliary interfaces selected on every system).
    8. In Function: Failover configuration: on the primary, enable primary mode and on the secondary, enable the secondary accordingly.
    9. Select one failover task and click on Apply in function failover tasks on primary system.
    10. Click on Start, in Function: failover manager on the primary system.
    11. Check the status in Function: Failover status; all must be OK and in Task status, the destination volume must be consistent.
    12. Please (either connect or log on?) connect log on to the mirror target with iSCSI initiator using the virtual IP.
    13. Create a partition and format the iSCSI disk.
    14. Test the Failover function by clicking on Manual Failover in Function: Failover Manager on the primary system.
    15. Afterwards, the secondary system must show "active" mode in the node status in Function: Failover status.
    16. In order to test Failback, please click on "Sync volumes" in Function: Failover manager on the secondary system.
    17. Once both systems are in sync, the Failback button will be activated. Please check Task Status in Function: Failover status on the secondary system; it must show both volumes as consistent.
    18. Click on the Failback button in Function: Failover manager on the secondary system.
    19. Afterwards, the primary system is back in active mode and ready for failover.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thank you for explanation!

Question: I want to test the fail-over before I buy a second DSS machine - is it possible with DSS Lite or the demo CD?

regards,
    Lukas

Tom, why the need for the bonded interface?
    Can I rely on one ethernet connection and the serial?

We will have a DSS Demo-CD version ready very soon, ETA 2 weeks. DSS LITE will not have this feature.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Default Any experiences with failover and ESX Server ?

I have tried the following:

2 DSS and a Microsoft 2008 Server and Hyper-V

The VM was laying in the iSCSI Target from the DSS Server.

If i make a iSCSI Failover the VM Hangs. Is that normal ?
    Have anybody expiriences with that. Will I have the same Problem,
    if i use VM ESX instead of Hyper-V ?

Thanx,
    Deejay

Hi deejay24

In our test with VMware failover worked with out any problems
    Here is a link to another user using Hyper-V without issues as well
    http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...hlight=Hyper-V
    Check out his setup, it may help with you problem