Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total storage size exceeded licensed storage capacity

Thread has average rating 3.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 11192 times.

Default Total storage size exceeded licensed storage capacity

I am trying to use an Intel Motherboard (D945GCZ) with onboard SATA Raid.
    I planned to use two 1TB sata drives and use hardware raid to present them to DSS lite. This has not worked so far.

1. I originally set them up as a hardware mirror set of 976GB and booted the system. DSS lite did not see any disk to use as a volume.

2. I tried to set them back to standard IDE, and booted again. The thought was that I would be able to use software mirroring to again setup one volume of just under 1TB.
    The message I get in dss is "Total storage size exceeded licensed storage capacity".
    I have called supprt (in the US) and have been told to use two drives smaller than 1TB and this will work. I was also told that the onboard Intel Raid will not work. So use two small drives set to IDE mode, and set up a software Raid set.

Can someone please clear this up for me. Seems that I only want to use 1TB online so I should be meeting the limitations of DSS lite.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

try using raid controller (not onboard) to create raid 1
    then DSS lite should see disk with out complaining.

dss does not support onboard raid controller
    is seeing both drives as 2Tb

If you want to test, turn off onboard raid and plug in one 1T drive
    then see if DSS lite complains about total storage size exceeded licensed storage capacity

I did try it with the raid turned off. I then pluggen in both drives as IDE. It complained about exceeding the limit. The only way I could get it to work was with one drive unplugged.
    As a note. i downloaded the demo software, and it sees both drives when plugged in.
    looks like its just a limit of 1TB, not allowing you to mirror to the 2nd 1TB drive.

Sorry for the slightly OT post, but does anyone know if 1TB means 1,000,000,000,000Byte here? Because I am planning to use 14 x 73GB, which is 1,022GB. TIA.

Default 1 TB Question

Hello -

In answer to your question, 1 TB more accurately is
    1 099 511 627 776 Bytes.

Asaph

Quote Originally Posted by asaph07
    Hello -

In answer to your question, 1 TB more accurately is
    1 099 511 627 776 Bytes.

Asaph
    I certainly hope that Open-e would use this accurate number. However, at least no hard drive manufacturer uses it.
    I will go ahead and order 14 x 73GB HDD, and we shall soon find out.

Thought I should report back. 14 x 73GB works with 1TB license. Raw space, no hardware RAID. It's a good news.

G'day cyberygan,
    Just out of interest, what sort of performance are you getting from 14x73GB?
    Which controller card?
    I have been given a chance to buy an old Netapp filer with a zillion 36GB disks at a pretty low cost, so I have been considering what I can do with it :-)

I have a friend that got a deal like that,
    He's paying through the nose for support.

Quote Originally Posted by symm
    I have a friend that got a deal like that,
    He's paying through the nose for support.
    Ha Ha, yep. That's why I am getting it so cheap :-)
    I'm thinking of breaking it up and attaching 30 of them to a dual channel Adaptec card.
    But its probably not worth it given that they are all 18GB.....