Visit Open-E website

Thread: FTP Access to DSS drive slow

Question FTP Access to DSS drive slow

Hey All.

I have several iSCSI servers up and running, however today I am trying to setup a DSS Lite to act as a proof of concept.

Its up and running beautiful. I created a drive on the NAS side, made it accessible anonymously, etc. I made this accessible through SMB to guests, via HTTP, and via FTP in anonymous mode.

The SMB and HTTP methods work great. Nice and fast (i.e. copied 130MB in like 20 sec), and pulled down via HTTP quick too. Thus I know my meager system config and connection speed (100Mbps for testing) isn't an issue.

However my FTP seems slow as molasses. It takes about 25 sec to even present the login response. Listing the directories is about as bad.... One of my FTP clients won't even connect - times out first.

Anyone experience any similar issues with the FTP part of NAS? I would really like to have it available as an option for my setup.

Thanks in advance.
    Rick

This delay is one of security methods in FTP - it is called Delay engine - and gives you more security if your transfer is transparent for some hacker. I don't know about DSS Lite but DSS have option to disable it.

I will search for it then. Thanks for the hint.

If nothing else, I will find it in our DSS as that is what we will ultimately deploy anyhow.

Rick

G'day Rick,
    The delay in connection would be caused by "Delay Engine" as Lucky mentioned, but once you connect, it should be as fast as normal.
    If it is slow listing directories as well, then that would be a concern, AFAIK delay Engine only comes into play during the initial logon, not once you are connected.
    Our experience with the DSS FTP has been good, no specific errors that I recall.

I assume this is via a LAN, so it should not be a Passive or Active issue, and/or MTU.
    Can you confirm you still have problems listing the directories?
    Which client are you using? Does it do the same via Dos FTP?

Rgds Ben.