Visit Open-E website

Thread: S/W Raid-5 set degraded by faulty disk

Default S/W Raid-5 set degraded by faulty disk

Yesterday i received an email from my DSS 16TB system that 1 of the 4 750Gb disks was faulty and the raid set was degraded.
    Everything thank god works fine however.

Nowhere in the manuals i can find what the right procedure is to follow now.

When i log in to the webgui now i dont see the 4th disk at all anymore so i guess that Open-E just removed it from my system.

Does anyone know what to do now and is it normal that the disk just dissapears from the GUI while yesterday it was still there but as faulty??

Please any help is appreciated because i dont know what to do now.

Kind regards,

Rogier Banis

From the software raid gui what do you see?
    Should be able to replace the bad drive and then add it to the array.
    system will then rebuild the array

Default RAID controller-dependent

how disks are replaced is dependent on the RAID card functionality. With adaptec I know it should be able to accept a new drive and add it to raid array automatically. If you need to first initialize or such you'd have to use the GUI/CLI for raid card.

You can add disk independently from the RAID. It will be as separate logical volume. Just add the disk hit scan and create LV.

If you want to add it to the RAID. scan it, check it and add it to the RAID. Almost every single RAID card let you do this..

should be able to replace disk
    rescan
    then add new disk to array
    rebuilding should start

Eventually it was indeed replace disk and add disk as hotspare, Rebuilding started automagically/

Thanks guys for the replies.