Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snapshots Clarification

This is the function of Local Backup. Backup is performed from snapshot to provide data integrity. So you need to have this setup for manual mode for backup and the other Snapshots can be used for quick file retrieval. This is explained in the manual as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Simple Question: Is it possible to have more than one snapshot contain data at one time?

Originally I had snap002 - 005 set with create and delete dates, but found that if I wanted to go to their contents *outside* that time range I would find them "unused" and therefore empty.

I cleared the delete time so that they would retain their contents until they are (re)created the next day, but what I am finding is that snap002 gets created and the rest of the snapshots remain "unused."

My goals seem simple enough to me: Multiple CONCURRENT snapshot restore points and a scheduled local backup.

I have already given up on the scheduled local backup because it depends on a manual snapshot creation. Do I also have to give up on the idea of having several snapshot restore points to choose from?

Ironically, I just found out my local backup is working the way I would like; right off the logical volume rather than a snapshot. The UI confused me by putting both drop lists in there and having the snapshot one fail if the snapshot is scheduled.

I am not sure that the backups are actually happening though, as my dynamic volume is full. Is there a cull or overwrite mechanism in place that I can't find?

Yes this function is available to restore but this is a manual process for your snapshots. The Dynamic Volume can be over written.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

You are saying that if I manually create snapshots, multiple snapshots can stick around as long as I like, but only one automatic/scheduled snapshot can exist at one time?

Snapshot is a manual restore process. Not sure if we are miss communicating to each other.
    Try to provide me in detail what steps you have taken and what are the detail results. These functions are very simple and are easy to test. In future releases we will add more functionality but no time frame is set and details. Thanks for your patients in this matter.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

My Goal: Multiple, snapshots available for restore at the same time with these snapshots being created through your scheduling process.

Restore is indeed a manual process, but so far I have only figured out how to have 1 scheduled snapshot contain data to restore at any given time.

I have created them with begin and end dates, and I have created them with only begin dates. In both cases, only one of these automatically created snapshots contains data at a given time.

For me, the value of snapshots is dramatically lessened if I have to create them manually. I would like them to get created on a schedule, and if I need a restore, I pick whichever one is appropriate and perform the restore.

Thanks for *your* patience, I am sure I must be driving you mad with this line of inquiry.

Not a problem on the questions. Allot of this is learning and testing as every environment is different. Even we run tests for many inquiries as there are too many ways to approach desirable results to gain the best possible solution.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"