Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: file i/o or block i/o

Default file i/o or block i/o

I've read several comments stating that file i/o mode should be used rather than block i/o when using iscsi targets with vmware. Does this recommendation still hold true?

Yes this still holds true, If you create an ISCSI volume in block I/O, a pop up window will advise you to switch to file I/O if using the volume with VMware.

I have been using VMWare with my ISCSI targets in file I/O without any problems.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by toepytoe
    If you create an ISCSI volume in block I/O, a pop up window will advise you to switch to file I/O if using the volume with VMware.
    I don't remember seeing any popups like you describe.... would that popup happen when in the DSS web interface, or are you referring to the vmware vi client?

The pop up wil appear if you are in block I/O when creating a new ISCSI volume in the DSS web interface

I guess I must've switched to file i/o a few weeks ago when I first started testing so I forgot about that pop-up. I just changed back to block i/o, created a new iscsi volume, and saw that pop-up.

Thanks.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but...

When presenting an iSCSI LUN to a VMware client using the MS iscsi software in server 2008... should I be using block I/O ?

Yes block IO
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Can someone please explain why?
    And what are the benefits of using file mode instead of block mode?
    And is this recommendation for iSCSI volumes that will be used for VMFS volumes that will contain VM's?
    Or is the recommendation for iSCSI volumes what will be used within VM's via a iSCSI initiator?

Link below provides information on Block IO and File IO, we recommend to use Block IO for VMware as this is what we certified the DSS V6 for the iSCSI volumes.

http://www.kb.open-e.com/File-IO-Or-Block-IO_342.html
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube