Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaleable Storage

Default Scaleable Storage

Hello everyone! I'm very interested in what your product can do, as my organization is currently investigating upgrading our storage infrastructure. I'm new to iSCSI SAN solutions and had (hopefully!) a quick & easy question.

I'm going to be building a proof-of-concept box, probably something along the lines of a 3U Supermicro barebone. Exact specifications have yet to be determined. My primary concern is if we start with this type of unit, and theoretically max out it's storage capacity, what are our options to add more storage to this target? I was under the impression that we could get some type of DAS rackmount device and attach it to the Supermicro. Is this possible? Can someone give some examples of types of equipment that would be needed to accomplish this?

Default Scaleable Storage

Hi Borsaid.

You can use an Areca 1680 RAID controller; just use the external port to expand out of your 2U system. This configuration works quite well.

-Asaph

I see where you're going there. What kind of enclosure or unit would I be hooking up into using that Areca card? Is it expandable beyond that, like in a piggy-backing setup?

Borsaid -

We use the Areca expander in our system. But, what you can do is check with Areca to see what other expanders they support. In our experience they typically support most of the SAS/SATA Expanders.

-Asaph

and what kind of disk enclosures should I be looking at? I seem to have a hard time finding these.

Borsaid,

...just go to the Areca website. You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

-Asaph

I've looked exhaustively on their website. I don't see anywhere where they're actually selling any type of disk enclosures, other than raid sub-systems.

Borsaid -

There are many enclosures that work with the Areca. You can contact them with your question and they will send you a list of boxes approved for their systems.

Here's a link for you.

http://www.rackmountpro.com/product....2264&catid=247

-Asaph

You rock man! Thanks a lot for your help.

Borsaid,

...hey, my pleasure! Here's something else that might be of use to you, courtesy of our friends at Areca.

There is an Areca site on the web where you can find SAS/SATA boxes. Here's the link:

www.CineRAID.com

Look for the 4-Bay Tower, as a good example. It's in their EditPro series.

You can find complete solutions here, which include the ARECA RAID controller.

Enjoy!

-Asaph