Visit Open-E website

Thread: Possible to create fileio volumes when block volumes exist/

Default Possible to create fileio volumes when block volumes exist/

Hello, I have 4 blockio volumes created and in use. I wish to create a fileio volume to see if there is a performance improvement.

I entered the console, C-A-W, tuning options, iscsi, set the mode from block to file. I went back in to verify the change was commited, and it was as file is now selected. I entered the web interface, volume manager, click my volume, create new iscsi volume, and I get the popup that the volume will be created in block io mode.

Is this expected behavior? I expected the volume to be created in fileio mode.

Thank you
    Rick

Hello Rickb,

I do not see this happened.... I belive you cant mix modes... remove other logical volumes, then create your new LV in your new mode...

Thank you Joey.

Can a developer confirm this? It seems very limiting. Why bother creating that huge popup informational windows if the procedure is incorrect? It should say- first delete all of your data, and then do XYZ.

ietd can have blockio and fileio targets in one config file. is this an open-e specific limitation?

You can have both File IO and Block IO Logical Volumes and they will work fine. We place a recommendation when using VMware to create iSCSI Logical Volumes in File IO and this is what VMware recommends. If you have created Logical Volumes in Block IO and have enough capacity to create new iSCSI Logical Volumes then change to File IO and create the new iSCSI Logical Volumes to work with VMware.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi, my opene console is set to fileio. When I create a new iscsi volume in the web interface, it creates it in block io mode. Any ideas?

Make sure that the "X" is in the field for File IO or try rebooting the system.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube