Visit Open-E website

Thread: Block I/O vs File I/O

Default Block I/O vs File I/O

I know that using VMWare ESX, you recommend usinf File I/O. But I would like to know using XenServer and VirtualIron what would you recommend?

I'm also wondering on Xenserver 4.1, would it be appropriate to use a HBA such as the QLogic Q4060C on th host, should I use one in my DSS storage server too? Would that influence also block I/O vs File I/O

Thank you

Most have reported better performance with Virtual Iron using File I/O. I don't have much information with XEN performance there are some using this with Block I/O from past cases and seem to do well.

There is a post from one of the members using XEN from this link, perhaps they can provide additional information on this subject. Would be good to know.

http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...ight=Xenserver

Concerning the 4060c we do not have any tests with this HBA and is not yet listed on the HCL so this would only be used as NIC and not for TOE support.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thank you, if other can provide a bit of info, I would appreciate.

Also, if I'm using the QLA4060C on the initiator side, I guess it will work as a TOE. In this case does file I/O vs Block I/O may change something?

RB

I go for the File IO in VI.. It works better

Hello

When and how I can choose betwen Block or File IO when creating a ISCSi volume ?

Thanks

PG

That should be easy...

from console (W>tuning options>iSCSI Daemon Option>iSCSI type)

Hello masim

That is for VMware right ?
    And what about windows ? There is any way do define the type of IO when formating the volume ?

Thanks

PG

G'day PG, the choice about File I/O vs Block I/O is made on the iSCSI target, not the iSCSI initiator.
    The cmd that Masim wrote refers to the console of the DSS.

Rgds Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by masim
    from console (W>tuning options>iSCSI Daemon Option>iSCSI type)
    Does this only apply to new iSCSI volumes created? We have a DSS system with several iSCSI volumes used from Solaris initiators (ZFS filesystems) that work well. These were created in the default mode and I would like to keep them unchanged when I now want to add iSCSI volumes for use from ESXi 3.5.

Current DSS version is 5.0.DB44000000.3025 (2008-02-27). Is upgrade recommended and without consequences for the existing volumes?

If use of File I/O is so important when hosting ESX/ESXi volumes, this should have been mentioned in the quite detailed white paper "What are the best practices when it comes to VMWare ESX Server 3.5 and Open-E?". I'm also missing information about I/O mode setting in the standard DSS documentation.

Dear ludvigb,

--Does this only apply to new iSCSI volumes created?
    All existing will remain the same

--Is upgrade recommended and without consequences for the existing volumes?
    Yes, we recommend to have the same release, even though different releases will not create any problem. Also, please make sure to save configuration and settings before perform the update. (Maintenance->miscellaneous)

--If use of File I/O is so important when hosting ESX/ESXi volumes, this should have been mentioned in the quite detailed white paper "What are the best practices when it comes to VMWare ESX Server 3.5 and Open-E?"
    This is mentioned in a pop-up window that shows every time users create an iSCSI volume.
    Also, in our Knowledge base there is an article explaining that, under title "What are the best practices when it comes to VMWare ESX Server 3.5 and Open-E?"
    https://kb.open-e.com